Friday, October 10, 2008

Third time is a charm?

It seems that each day, we experience some drama, maybe that is too bit of a strong adjective, but something is always happening.


I am so tired that I cannot remember what events took place yesterday. Oh, yes... Lin was feeling pretty good, so I left her with her mom and sister, Marlene. I went shopping. We needed basic supplies and I needed to go to the bank. When I got back Marlene confided in me that Lin had asked her not to tell me, however, Lin had experienced a fall again.

Lin had asked to sit outside, but was using her walker. Her legs act like jello allot and I almost have to force her into the wheelchair. Well she was trying to get up from her chair when her legs gave out. We usually insist that someone walk behind her. Marlene managed to catch her by her shirt and shorts and Lin got some cushion as she fell to her knees. Of course she was almost choked in the process, but she survived the fall.

The nurses aid came in today to give Lin her shower. I was sitting in the office working on a new spread sheet as her meds had changed again and I needed to put together a new schedule. We are juggling 15 different meds right now. I usually take the baby monitor with me where ever I go in the house (thank you Eric and Lori for the idea).

I was pecking away at the medical jargon, when I hear a shout through the speaker. I ran through the house and arrived at the second shout. I must have had a look of shock on face. Lin told me to take a breathe and help her up. She was getting dried off when she slipped on the bath mat in the shower. She fell with her foot twisted under her; the aid panicked and had backed out of the shower; it was she that had hollered for help. Lin managed to pull her leg out from under her.

When I saw her, she was sitting like a little rag doll in the corner of the shower, hands and legs at her sides. I immediately yelled for Marlene to help me, the aid was in shock. We managed to get Lin to her knees first and then onto the shower chair. She twisted her ankle badly. We are taking a picture of butt and posting to see who can win a contest. Who can name what Lin fell onto as it is now imprinted as bruise on the butt, it looks like a tattoo?

She is now committed to using the wheelchair.

Her sister Fran flew in from Canada today. Marti picked her up from the airport. Lin has been looking forward to her sisters and mom all being under one roof.

I went out and shopped for handicap railing today. I never knew it was so expensive! Art is helping me to figure out how to mount it in the restroom and shower. These should help Lin in her transition from the wheelchair into the shower, etc.

We had a dinner tonight to honor Lin's dad's birthday, Robert. Lin ate pretty well. Compared to last week when we could not get her to eat anything but milk shakes to tonight, it has been a big difference. Last time she was doing chemo for a year, Interferon, the only thing she would eat was two lobster tails every Friday. Tonight she ate some lobster and even a couple of bites of steak. We were all very proud of her. She even ate some German Chocolate cake, her dad's favorite.

It is almost 11pm and time for some personal time to myself.

Oh yeah, the "tattoo" was an imprint of the shower temperature control. As she was falling she grabbed for the handle and the temperature control handle fell off and she landed on it. It made for something for us to laugh about amidst of the apprehension of the accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment