Friday, November 14, 2008

Sleepless in Austin

Have you ever gotten out of bed and felt like crap? You force yourself to jump in the shower, grab a cup of coffee maybe some toast, get in your car and head for the office. The whole time your driving you keep thinking you don't want to talk to anyone, just get to your desk, do some email, work on your projects and basically just get through the day. But the first thing that happens is that you run into cheery Joe, "top of the morning! How are you feeling today?"

Those are the days that I want to just stick my head in the proverbial sand. I know everyone is well intentioned and all, but I find myself in this position allot lately. How are you doing? Well I just lost my spouse permanently, not because she wanted to go, believe me she told me. I just buried her a little under a week ago...blah...blah..blah. How would you respond? I know this will be hard for people to understand but I find myself at a loss for words.

This all still feels surreal. I keep expecting Lin to walk in the door. I pressed the button today to listen to messages and there was her voice. "Hi Honey! Boy this message sounds horrible. You need to rerecord it. Call me!" Makes me want to pick up the phone, however, I don't think the AT&T tower can handle the call.

I went to the dentist Monday as I lost a crown. He convinced me that I needed to come in for a check up as it had been a while. As the dental hygienist was cleaning my teeth, she kept commenting on how well they looked considering. I finally asked her just how long it had been since I had been in; she smiled, 19 months. Right around the time that Lin was first diagnosed with cancer. In the next couple of weeks I will have two root canals and two bridges put in. I had not realized just how much I had neglected myself. No wonder Lin kept reminding me to take better care of myself and not to worry about her.

I went to the lawyer office on Wednesday and spent several hours at the social security office. I found out a little bit about "joint tenancy". I would suggest that you look at your bank accounts and real estate records and find out how they are set up (talk to your lawyer, my interpretation my be incorrect). It is a form of ownership by two or more individuals together. It differs from other types of co-ownership in that the surviving joint tenant immediately becomes the owner of the whole property upon the death of the other joint tenant. This is called a Right of Survivorship. If you do not have this...oh my. There is something called tenancy in common. It is another form of co-ownership. It is the ownership of an asset by two or more individuals together, but without the rights of survivorship that are found in a joint tenancy. Upon the death of one co-owner, his or her interest will not pass to the surviving owner or owners but will pass according to his or will. If there is no will, his or her share will pass according to the law determining heirs. If you are gay, have tenancy in common and do not have a will, your spouse will not have any legal rights! I thank Lin for putting her will together last year!! By the way social security works along the same line, surviving heirs or will; however a gay spouse is not entitled to any death benefits regardless of how much your spouse contributed to the system.

I hope that someone can benefit from what Lin and I have experienced. I never knew death could take such a toll on a person; the dying or the living. I have experienced death in my family before but never knew it so intimately.

I keep reliving the last week of Lin's life. Each time the reel plays in my head I do things differently, but no matter what the movie ends the same. I see different parts of our past, kind of like the chapter breakout on a DVD; I relive those times as well. I get mad at things that I said, that I should have said and for the times that I should have just listened.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWwRb2A9idY

Barbara Streisand
Why Did I Choose You?

Why did I choose you?
What did I see in you?
I saw the heart you hide so well
I saw a quiet "woman" who had a gentle way
A way that caught me in it’s glowing spell
Why did I want you?
What could you offer me?
A love to last a life time through
And when I lost my heart so many years ago,
I lost it lovingly and willingly to you...
If I had to choose again,
I would still choose you...

No comments:

Post a Comment