Monday, October 20, 2008

Transformations

It is astonishing to me how much can take place inside of 24 hours. My family came over to cook and spend time with Lin, her Mom and me. Allison made a special delivery of dinner for Monday with desert. Bonnie, our weekday RN provided me with some new news.

Marti, her daughter from New Mexico, Felisha, Marti's son Art, his wife Erin, their son Alex, Dora, Eric, his wife Lori, their son Corbin, Julie, Lin and I all got together for supper. All the girls cooked up a storm, BBQ chicken, sausage, pasta salad, home-made beans, brisket, peach and blueberry cobbler, etc. There was enough food for what seemed an army. Everyone showed up around 4pm; Lin was already exhausted. She wanted everyone at the house, however tired she was. Dora got a plate of food to her, next thing you know Lin is feeding herself a helping of cobbler and ice cream, she skipped the main meal and went straight for the sugar.

Lin legs started hurting more than usual on Saturday. By Sunday they were aching her. This is being caused by the pressure on the nerve endings on her spine. She says it feels like someone is repeatedly stabbing her legs. The amount of oral morphine has increased. The amount of time that she is cognizant has decreased. By 8pm each night she has checked out. She will wake a couple of times throughout the night and in need of pain meds although the schedule calls for 8am dosages. I supplement oral morphine until I am able to give her the normal dosage of medications. I wish I had more training in this but it is pretty much play by ear and take some calculated risks. I call the RN on call if I am really struggling with what to do.

This morning I woke her early to give her oral morphine and she needed to go to the bathroom. Her knees are so banged up, they stay black and blue; her forearms along the bottom side have the same problem. In order to transfer her from the chair to the toilet she must pull herself up and spin around. With the power leaving her legs, they sometimes buckle and she hits her knees on the front of the toilet. Once she is ready to leave she must put all her weight on forearms to pull herself up and complete a reversal of the procedure once again. This is the same process each time she is ready to transfer to chair, bed, etc. This morning proved to be very taxing on her and she ran out of energy by noon.

When the RN came by today. She put in an order for an oxygen tank and a wheelchair sling.

I warmed up the Shepard's pie that Allison made us. What a treat, we all enjoyed it! Art came over to help me figure out how to use the hoist (the equipment usually is delivered and you have to figure out how to use it all). The first sling we put Lin into, did not work. She started slipping through the opening intended for use in the restroom!! The second one was smaller and worked better, however the harness used for the legs was causing her discomfort as it was digging into her from behind the knees. Marti brought over her sewing machine to make some padded covers, they worked like a charm. Dora and Julie swung into high gear to modify some of Lin's night wear so we can more readily use the new tool. It was like Santa's workshop.

The sling is allowing us to move Lin from the w/chair to another location by placing her on sling and then lift her on a hydraulic hoist and move her suspended in the air, kind of like a chair hammock on wheels. I put the oxygen on her tonight. Everything is changing so fast. It has been only 52 days since we returned from our vacation...all was well then.

3 comments:

  1. Roni and Lin

    I want you to know that you are CONSTANTLY in my thoughts and prayers right now. I love you two very very much!! It hurts me deeply that you are having to endure this. Please know that your family and friends will be here to help you through all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dearest of Aunts, guys right now with school and an AP course aka colledge level course.... with the workload that I am getting I know I can't visit very much so every time I make a visit I wan't it to be a good one and one that is happy....when I found out about Aunt Lin it was like something was going to be missing soon...I was shocked really.....i didn't think it would happen at all......... so if I ever get a chance.... I want to do something that will take Lin's mind off of what she is dealing with like teaching her to play the guitar I know I'm not the best guitarist in the world, but I know the basics....right now I have tears in my eyes because for me the days are passing buy extremely fast....... I just don't know how long she will last....... that way I can teach her and with her dwindling strength......... and how fast this going is very emotional and stressfull..... during school I can't help think about it so I try and think of good thoughts or keep my mind distracted.... I love you both very dearly
    -With love,
    Alexandro Ascencio

    ReplyDelete