Friday, October 24, 2008

Thursday and Friday were event filled days.

I went to the lawyers office. It is horrible that in this day and age gay people do not have the same civil rights as everyone else. I had to go and ensure that our interests were indeed addressed by the will that we had drawn up when we found out about the cancer almost two years ago. The lawyer advised that everything looked in order as far as the will; however, we have to look for precedent, etc on how to address real estate as we are both on the deeds. We are not sure how this will be looked at or handled considering we could not be legally married. That was a stress filled event, both prior and at the time of the appointment.



Lin woke up at 5am and was full of energy. She had to go outside. Alyssa was a big help while she was here! I hated to wake her so early, but I needed help. Getting her dressed is a big chore now. She ate breakfast and lunch and then crashed. She slept all afternoon and woke only for a few minutes in the evening.

She awoke at 2:30 am, Friday morning and wanted to go outside. Marti and Marlene took the night shift from me and they had "fun" convincing her that it was not a good idea as it was cold and too early.

Eric arrived at 7am for the morning shift, woke the girls up! I came down the stairs worried that no one had started administering morphine before her normal meds were due. Someone told me to go back to bed, they were on it. It is hard to rest not knowing if Lin is being tended to in the same manner that I have been addressing her needs. I was half awake / sleep listening to the monitor and could hear that both Marti and Marlene were being very attentive.

Thank goodness Eric was in, he helped to literally pick Lin up and move her to her w-chair without aid of the lift.

Genny brought over dinner on Friday, thank you! With Genny providing dinner, we were able to start work on funeral / memorial discussions. This is not an easy task. It is almost like you have to shut down your emotions and think of Lin in terms of a body instead of a living person. Marti did the hard work

We picked a poem for her memorial, it is called "When I'm Gone". I think she made the decision for us a long time away as everything will be themed with either beach or seagulls.

Her mother, sister and I talked about Lin's eventual obituary.

Saturday - Lin's breathing was very shallow this morning, her eyes were very sunken and her hands were drawing inward. She awoke again at 5am. I kept hearing a beeping sound and thought that it was my alarm, it was not. Someone left the refrigerator door open. I walked into Lin's room thinking something was wrong. She asked me to stay with her. I crawled into bed with her (a tight fit) and I had also turned on a Sade CD. We talked about allot of things that we had been avoiding. I also had to remind her that we had already spoken about the fact that she was in the dying process, she does not have allot of time left. We cried together.

After sometime, I went and got some help to get her up. Lin looked more beautiful than she had in a long time. He face was radiating, she had allot of color. The sunken eyes had disappeared. She sat at the breakfast table and ate. She went outdoors and sat with her mom and sister. She crashed around 9am. She slept until 1pm today. She woke up long enough to have some soup for lunch and managed to spill her drink 3 times. She coyly told Laura that she was helping her get ready for eventual child rearing. She fell back to sleep. We put her into bed around 3pm.

Her weekend nurse told us that Lin can go at any time. Her high blood pressure has started to come down. We thought it was a good sign...prior to her eventual passing, her blood pressure will drop and her heart will slow. We are wondering what will happen tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment